Tuesday, October 18, 2011

White Wash

'It's already been late and they haven't come to talk yet , I have taken a holiday and I just hope they do the whitewash tomorrow' said  Mom with a worried look on her face. I was already feeling very excited about the fact that whitewash would be  taking place tomorrow . I always had a tendency to connect with the people who would come for whitewash. Always were they very simple , hardworking and pristine.

Leaning back on the chair I nailed down to extract that how I fought with my Mom to give them a phone (which was of no use for us , It was in pretty bad condition) the last time they came. Whitewash used to happen every year (earlier) for now it happens once in every four years.I also wondered if i can get up early tomorrow and help making the rooms ready for them to work.

Your Dad has been working since early morning , These guys are just too much , Get up and help if you have some shame left ' , screamed my Mom at the top of her voice. I was not shocked to see the time (routine) and  just got out of the bed without saying anything. Soon enough , I started helping my Mom and Dad .
So we are going to start with the drawing room echoed one of the two people who had come . One of them looked very experienced and was about 35-40 years , The other one though had innocence all over him and looked around 15-20 years.  I was told to bring some biscuits (little cheap)  , the fact that Amma was making tea for them. Pretending that I did not listen , I brought my favorite 'Hide and Seek' biscuits but not to my mother's amusement. You have a habit of spending money prodigiously , Do you know that? Dad kept her calm asking if she wants the work to go forward or else she should worry about the paltry money spending.

'Bhaiya' , 'We are making tea for you ' I told both of them.
The experienced one answered that we never have tea so sorry (with a touch of arrogance). I doubt if the younger one meant the same. Go and give these biscuits only then , Mom told me. But why can't we give them milk ,I questioned. Bhaiya so will you have some milk then to which the younger one answered  her' Han hum pee sakte hain (Yes we can drink it ). They had already started working and in two-three hours they were able to paint the downside. The fact that they had been working for so long ,I thought of making lemon-soda for them . I gave the first glass to the younger one , the second to the other one and the third (I thought of making four , but there wasn't enough soda left)one, I kept for myself.

I always connect with my Dad more than I do with my sister and mom (Think that both of them connect too). He is not that good in kitchen but he loves experiments ,always ends up mixing a lot of things . Amma and Gudia(My sister) prefer not to taste anything we make so there was never a question of making something for Mummy(Though she likes how i make tea) .Dad  took the glass from my hand  and  he did drink all of it ,Its limca , no?, He looked at me smiling. I loved it and looked at him as if saying 'You should have left something Papa'.

The younger guy also  told me that it was good , Meanwhile my mother was urging the experienced guy to paint the walls properly(and may be two-three times) but I felt that he was quite used to hear that a lot from women, he reacted as if he did not bother. He almost finished his work and went for the lunch , Also did he say to his fellow to finish his work soon and join him at lunch.

 After some time with a very boyish voice the younger guy asked  my dad 'Anything else Sir' , to which dad called my Amma and Well , there was quite a bit left according to her. We did share food with that guy and he started talking about his family and his mother.Soon the white-wash was over and I was practicing bowling very quick and he kept staring at me for a while near the verandah.

We did play some cricket together then and he did know how to give that ball a tweak.
His fellow mate soon bellowed  ' You should sleep here only for today , What say?' to which he dropped the ball and thought of saying something to me . But he turned his back to me.
To my surprise he turned again and after a pause revealed ' I wish I can come again' and he left. I kept looking and thinking about him.











12 comments:

  1. :) I have nothing else to say :) I usually get tensed when white wash is to be done, kittna kaam hota hai :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice read!You scored a six even with the white wash guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diwali preparations are really hectic and any lady can lose her temper if every member of the family do not lend her a helping hand..
    [ personal experience :P ]

    " just got out of the bed without saying anything" - only a few people possess this quality :)

    nice read !
    Take care..

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) Really nice Ashish... !
    Your writing style is interesting which inculcates interest to read in a stretch.. Congrats and also I understand your kind and love for fellow beings... Keep up that spirit always. It gives the sign of a good human being and an essential to a writer
    Love and regards
    Sandhya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Nice.. Keep it up..!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Chint2-Yes! I can guess!
    Rahul ji-Thank you sir!
    Reicha-I agree. I strive to help but i do not , most of the times!
    Sandhya chechi-feels so good to see your comment!Hmm!
    Ad , Ullas-:D , bhaiyon cricket ka kuch nahin likhunga ab se!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post gives an air of nostalgia to me.
    I love white washes. Just make everything bright after a long hiatus of tiring work and mess. But in that mess and work, so many things are actually beautiful. Those moments of panic attacks, and decision-making, and frustration are all worth the brightness in the end.

    Such random people always, always haunt me for some reason. It's really hard for me to forget anyone, at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading it.It pulled at my heart strings coz often I too try to connect with people like you do and when they leave I am haunted by them.
    Ashish I liked the name you have given ur site.I like your motto too.You make me feel that u can see around the bend and into the negative space which only gifted people can do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the smell of paint. So I love when my house gets white-washed. Minus the chaos.
    *Don't go there.*
    *Don't touch that wall.*
    *Aaaaaaaah. Careful, the paint is still wet.*
    Baba re! :P
    Interesting this is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a very gifted human being.....writer and you have a genuine warmth towards other beings.....i am glad we had that chance meeting my dear....

    ReplyDelete

Say it!

Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs